Sony announced a new receiver with 10.1 inch screen with a unique tilt and swivel mechanism that allows 15 degree angle adjustments horizontally and vertically.
Due in winter 2024, the XAV-AX8500 has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto and iDatalink Maestro capability for retaining key factory features.
- 10.1-inch HD1280x720 Gapless Anti-glare Capacitive Touchscreen: With a 10.1″ high-definition LCD panel and optically gapless design, it boasts the best-in-class picture quality, while assuring safer and easier operation than ever. The LCD is bonded directly to the protective glass touch layer with a transparent adhesive which realizes an extremely precise touch experience.
- HD Graphical User Interface: The 1280 x 720 HD touchscreen offers an enhanced user interface for safety and ease of use. It features a clean design with customizable icon positioning and wallpaper to suit your vehicle and style.
- Anti-glare design: The internal anti-glare filter hugely improves touchscreen visibility by reducing sunlight reflections, ensuring easier and safer driving.
- HDMI Connectivity (Micro-HDMI): HDMI connectivity allows for hooking up an external audio and visual source device, for viewing while parked.
- Easily Adjustable Tilt & Swivel For Every Journey: The newly designed tilt and swivel mechanism let the driver manually adjust the oversized display’s viewing angles. Its screw-less structure offers a range of ±15 degrees, both horizontally and vertically with no tools required. This not only allows for altering the angle to the preferred seating position, but also avoiding things such as direct sunlight reflection, or even for sharing the navigation screen with your passengers.
- Quick Wake Up: With Sony’s Quick Wake Up feature, drivers are ready to go right after turning on the ignition.
- Wireless Smartphone Connection: Wi-Fi connection from the user’s smartphone, together with the supplied GPS antenna, provides wireless connection to Apple CarPlay® as well as Android AutoTM  compatibility.
- 3-camera trigger inputs: In addition to the regular rear-view camera connectivity, by utilizing the supplied trigger wires, drivers can see the images of up to three connected cameras with each camera image switched on and off, or from one to another automatically by detecting the vehicle’s turn signals or sensing compatible signals such as that for a connected front camera.
- iDatalink® Maestro® Compatible: iDatalink® Maestro® connects the vehicle’s onboard computer with car audio, making it work as a customized display for the car’s factory-equipped functions and features.
- USB Type-C® Compatible: USB Type-C®(Hi-speed) compatible reversible connection interface ensures safe and easy plug in, while it can carry 5V 3.0A maximum current for updated smartphone connectivity.
- Sound Customization: The built-in DSP offers sound processing and time alignment -down to a remarkable 1cm for each of the 5 addressable channels (4 speakers + subwoofer via pre-out). A 14-band EQ enables adjustment on the overall sound to customers’ music or taste.
- LDAC for Exceptional Sound Quality: Connect compatible devices to stream audio at 96 kHz / 24-bit sampling with bitrates up to 3x higher (990 kbps) than conventional Bluetooth®.
- High Voltage Pre-out (5V): In general, head units deliver 2-volt audio signal, meanwhile Sony’s head unit with high voltage pre-out gives 5-volt signal, which realizes clearer sound with less distortion when the head unit is used connecting to power amplifier.
- FLAC Audio File Compatible: Plays back FLAC files with up to 24-bit depth and sampling frequency at 384 kHz.
- Gold-plated 3-preout Terminals For Your Future System: The 3-pre out connectivity allows customers to build a full acoustic system, a mono amplifier and 4-channel amplifier.
- Simple Button Controls With Improved Ergonomic Design: The new button design features large keys to seamlessly fit with the sleek display.
- Customizable Wallpaper: Allows changing its wallpaper to the preset color choices or user’s favorite JPEG image saved in a USB device.
- Single-DIN chassis for flexible installation: The main unit is packed in a single-DIN chassis for flexible installation in both single and double-DIN dashboards, while still leaving plenty of room for cables and harnesses when installed in double-DIN vehicles.
Suggested retail price and availability will be announced in winter 2024.