In electronics, the best selling items at Amazon for the holiday were Bose QuietComfort Wireless Headphones. Others included the Samsung Flat 65″ 4K UHD 8 Series Smart LED TV, Apple iPad (Wi-Fi, 32GB) in Space Gray, Wemo Mini Smart Plug, Blue Yeti USB Microphone in Blackout, Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera, and HP Sprocket Photo Paper.
Not only Amazon, but retail in general had a stellar season. Holiday sales grew 5.1 percent this year to more than $850 billion, marking the best season in six years, said Mastercard. Additionally, online sales jumped 19.1 percent compared to last year, reported USA Today.
The biggest retail gains overall were in the clothing and home improvement sectors. Electronics sales actually fell 0.7 percent.
At Amazon, the Echo Dot, and Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote were among the best-selling items.
As Alexa heads into car radios this year, here are some mile markers to note on the widespread use of the voice service:
- Alexa set more than one hundred million timers this holiday season.
- Customers used Alexa to listen to hundreds of millions more hours of music this holiday season compared to last year.
- This holiday season, customers listened to more than one million holiday stories from Amazon Storytime on Alexa – the most popular holiday story was Rapping Paper.
- Customers around the world asked Alexa how many days or sleeps until Christmas this holiday season – customers in the United Kingdom were the most excited, asking twice as much as customers in any other country.
- Customers used Alexa nearly twice as much on Fire TV devices this holiday season compared to the same time period last year.
Photo: Consumer Affairs