Parrot is supplying Volvo with car radios based on Parrot’s Asteroid Android technology.
The new Parrot-designed Volvo radios are notable in that, starting in May, they will not only be available for new Volvos, but also as retrofit radios for older Volvo models in the instance a car owner wants to upgrade years after buying the car.
The Parrot design is found in the Volvo Sensus Connected Touch radios that will be available for new Volvo models V40, S60, V60, XC60, V70, XC70 and S80. They will also be available as retrofit radios for 2011 and newer Volvos with a 7-inch Sensus display.
Volvo’s Sensus Connected Touch offers touch-enabled, on-demand music services (including Spotify), Internet radio, navigation, video, and Internet browsing (not available while driving). Users may also use voice activation to select songs. And they get handsfree calling, and text-to-speech applications.
New apps can be downloaded directly to the car radio through Parrot’s app market called Parrot Asteroid Market. So you may run apps independent from your smartphone.
The actual wireless connection is through WiFi using the driver’s smartphone or through use of a 3G/4G USB dongle.
Apps and service for the Volvo Sensus radio include:
– Music on-demand services, with Spotify and Deezer
– Internet radios TuneIn and Liveradio.
– Navigation with iGO Primo software from NNG, including 5-years of live online traffic information
– Online mapping and search for Points Of Interests
– Warning of dangerous zones, with Coyote Series and Wikango HD.
– Multimedia playback of music, photos and videos from local sources (iPod®, USB, SD etc.)
– Internet browsing (not available when driving). The browser allows Java animations and films.
– Mirroring of the applications on the driver’s mobile phone in the car’s display when using the Parrot SmartLink App
– A Volvo service locator presenting a list of nearby Volvo dealerships and helping the driver contact the chosen one.
– An itinerary service, named Roadtrip, to touristic points of interest which vocally provides historical information linked to the selected venue and shows pictures of it on the vehicle’s display.
– Email and Calendar data from an Exchange or webmail account.
The Sensus system connects the car’s LIN bus (Local Interconnect Network). It allows command and control using the steering wheel buttons and the touch interface.
Parrot also recently began offering new aftermarket radios through car electronics retailers under the Asteroid series including a double DIN Android radio.