Press Release: TEMPE, AZ– Mobile Solutions’ latest MasterTech training workshop series called Modern Fab took place on May 19-22, 2022 at the company’s Tempe, Arizona headquarters.
The sold out workshop blended upholstery and stitching techniques, technology using automation like CNCs and laser machines, as well as specialty electronics and coding integration for lighting and control systems.
“Without a doubt this was one of our most technology-driven classes to date and we could not be happier with the outcome. We’ve definitely broken into new territory with this workshop,” said Mobile Solutions Founder and CEO, Bryan Schmitt.
Led by Schmitt and guest presenters Rommel Medina and Tony Estrada with additional class time help from Mal Maher of NC Carpet, Wesley Cato and Doug Dobson, the attendees received four days of in-depth skills training around interior fabrication and finishes with the added benefit of the design elements of CAD/CAM software and even programming custom code for LED lighting on Arduino-based control circuits.
The Modern Fab workshop’s training topics included:
Designing interior panels and trim elements with the sewing machine processes
- Working from an initial design sketch or rendering
- Upholstery materials of choice – for hard and soft panel finishes
- Patterning and stitching different seams
- The use of stitching details to add accents to a build
Fabricating and implementing other unique trim and interior elements
- Safety-focused 3D router techniques for incredible dimension with extreme efficiency
- Accent lighting and layering for maximum visual impact
- Secret tricks for unique trim inserts using aluminum and plastic elements
- Comprehensive Arduino code programing for assignable LEDs
Interior panel and trim finishing techniques
- Surface texturing four different ways with paint
- Pressed metal grilles/inserts
- Shadow trim, paint tricks such as marbling, faux wood grain, etc.
- Using wood-like veneers and other vinyl-wrap-based materials to emulate a design narrative
- Secrets of finishing back sides on fabricated panels when removed for service
Moving design and small volume production into the digital world
- The economics for the learning curve for those new to automation
- Terminology used in 2D automation in laser and CNC router setups
- Choosing CAD/CAM software that easily does what’s needed
- Tools and methods for dust collection, air extraction, vacuum clamping and more
- Laser & CNC router examples, applications and actionable Pro Tips
Although dates have not yet been confirmed, a second 2022 session of Modern Fab will be offered this fall and is also expected to sell out.
For questions or further information, please email Mobile Solutions at [email protected] or call 480 968-2074.