Stinger (AAMP Global) announced it will offer a new version of its ELEV8 “floating” 8-inch radio this quarter.
The new model has a rotating display so that the radio’s control knobs can sit at the top or the bottom. This allows for the radio to fit in a wider range of vehicles without modifying the dashboard.
The new ELEV8 will replace the current model at the same suggested retail price of $879.99.
Floating radios with 8-inch screens are starting to catch on at some retailers, but remain a small niche at others.
The idea is that as car makers shift to larger screens, the standard Double DIN 7-inch radio is not as “exciting” as it was even a few years ago.
Mehdi Narimanian of 3-store chain Sound of Tri-State in Delaware said, “Cosmetically, I would have said a few years ago, ‘it’s awful sticking out,’ but I think Mercedes and some of the other high end vehicles started the trend. Alpine did a good job with Halo. Now with Pioneer coming into that market, it’s very helpful to our industry…7-inch in-dash video is not as exciting anymore because most vehicles already have 7-inch or larger radios.”
He believes every leading supplier will offer 8-inch floating radios when launching their next generation of radios.
Stinger’s first floating radio launched in May after a limited launch in January. The new model offers similar features apart from the new 180-degree rotating display.
Like the original, it includes CarPlay and Android Auto with SiriusXM capability. It has 4 camera inputs with wired triggers for blind spot or front cameras.
The 1024 by 600 HD capacitive screen has 16.7 million colors.
Other features include:
- AM/FM radio – PTY / RT information
- High power 4 x 50W built-in amplifier
- 4V 6ch RCA audio outputs with subwoofer control
- Toslink (Optical) Variable Audio Output
- 15 Band Adjustable EQ with 3 user presets for each audio source
- 1 HDMI rear input
- 2 USB rear inputs 1.5amp output
- Handsfree Bluetooth® 4.2 A2DP with aptX™
- Built-in microSD card slot for optional iGO Navigation
- 4 Camera Video inputs with wired triggers (PAC RadioPRO Compatible)
- Mic Audio input from rear camera
- Hardwired remote control ready (Steering Wheel Controls)
- Customizable startup screens and display backgrounds
- Shallow 1DIN chassis mounting design with rotatable display
About AAMP Global:
Established in 1987, owned by Audax Private Equity, and headquartered in Clearwater, Florida, AAMP Global is developing safety solutions under EchoMaster, smartphone connectivity under iSimple, high performance audio enhancement under Stinger and Phoenix Gold, and OEM integration solutions under Autoleads and PAC.
For more information visit https://stingerelectronics.com/